History of the Texas Crown Performance Hall Print



The Texas Crown is the most recent evolution of public buildings on this site. The first building constructed here was the Canadian Baptist Academy. Built in 1904, the Academy offered elementary, secondary, and college classes. Dormitories were available to boarding students. Tuition was $12 per month, but was later reduced to $5. In 1908, the enrollment peaked at 176 students. The Academy closed in 1913, three years after the construction of the first public high school in Canadian.

The building sat empty until 1919 when it was reopened as an orphanage supported by the local churches. But as time passed, the building became unsafe while the number of children increased. In 1924 the orphanage moved to Tipton, Oklahoma, where it continues today. Following the departure of the orphans, the building burned, and the site was used as a park until 1939.


The present building was constructed in 1939 after fire destroyed the high school. The structure was begun by the Public Works Administration on February 23, 1939. It was designed by Voelcker and Dixon in a Spanish Gothic style and named after Tom L. Hoover, son of Judge and Mrs. H. E. Hoover, prominent Canadian residents. The Class of 1940 was the first graduating class.


It served as the high school until 1976 when a new high school was constructed. The building was remodeled and converted into the Canadian Middle School, a function it continues today.


A complete renovation of the old auditorium was begun in 2008. Seats, curtains, rigging, lights and sound were all replaced. The original stage doubled in size, and four modern dressing rooms were added.


With the permission of the Canadian Independent School Board, the Canadian Arts Alliance undertook an effort to bring in entertainment that was the equal of the facility. We hope you agree that we have done that.


Welcome to the Texas Crown Performance Hall!